Notice to Travelers
- Source：Kaohsiung Rapid Transit Corporation
Chapter One General Provisions
Article 1 - The operator set the Kaohsiung Light Rail Notice to Travelers in accordance with the “Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit System Passenger Transport Regulations” (hereinafter referred to as the Notice). The Notice is announced at the station. Same action should apply for amendments.
Article 2 - The terms of this Notice are defined as follows:
- The scope of the light rail system: all routes, factories, stations and light rail trains within the route network of the Kaohsiung Light Rail System managed by the operator.
- Light rail station area: The area of each station of the Kaohsiung Light Rail System managed by the operator.
- The paid area: need to have valid ticket to enter light rail train / car.
- Tickets: The operator approves passengers to enter and leave the paid zone with tickets.
- Ride without ticket: no possession of ticket, used an invalid (altered, forged) ticket or fraudulently use other’s identity to purchase ticket to enter the paid zone.
- Invalid ticket: Tickets that exceed the service period.
- Problem Tickets: Tickets that cannot be used or be checked at the operator’s light rail station, in the light rail or the automatic ticketing system.
- Operation interruption: The operation of the whole line, partial route is stopped by the operator or the station is closed.
- Lost property: Items left by passengers within the scope of the light rail system.
Article 3 - Passengers are not allowed to enter the track area of the light rail system (excluding shared road rights, such as intersections), and places in the station that are not accessible to the public. However, if guided by service personnel in case of accidents or disasters would not limited to this.
Article 4 - Passengers entering and leaving the paid zone should hold the ticket approved by the operator and time limit is 1 hour. If exceeded allowed period of time, ticket must be re-purchased. If passenger did not re-purchase ticket and was discovered, it is considered to have been riding without ticket.
Article 5 - Passengers shall use equipment within the scope of the light rail system in accordance with the instructions and shall not occupy, destroy, damage, interfere or move.
Article 6 - Outside the operating hours, unless approved up on by the operator, one cannot stay in the light rail station area or in the light rail train.
Chapter II Ticket Types, sales and Ticket Usage
Article 7 - Tickets types and sale
- The ticket types approved by the operator are as follows:
- One-way ticket: The operator issues the ticket allowing in/out of paid zone within effective time after the purchase.
- Electronic ticket: The contactless ticket issued by electronic ticket issuer. The passenger can enter the paid zone by means of a ticket sensor machine. The validity of the electronic ticket depends on the issuer and handled according to the regulations.
- Other types of tickets: Handled in accordance to the announcement made by the operator.
- One-way tickets are available for sale at the one-way ticket vending machines or operator designated locations in the light rail station area. As for the electronic ticket, it would be sold according to the announcement made by the electronic ticket issuer.
- When purchasing the ticket, one should immediately ensure the changes given and the number of tickets, if there are any discrepancies, please report to the operator’s customer service staff.
Article 8 - Provisions for enter/exit with ticket
- All passengers are charged with full fare and should pay the fare in accordance with the operator’s announcement. Children under the age of 6 (provided proof of identity if height is over 115 cm) can travel for free providing the child is accompanied by a passenger who has purchased a ticket.
- Each ticket is limited to one person per trip; if violated by having multi-persons sharing the ticket, it is considered to be riding without ticket, and the matter shall be handled in accordance with Article 49 of the Mass Rapid Transit Law.
- Passengers must choose to use the electronic ticket or purchase a ticket from the one-way ticket vending machine at the station, while paying in accordance to the station announcement fare and charging method.
- Passengers who are using electronic card issued as store-value card should self-check the balance of the card. The minimum should be at least NT$1 in order to enter the operator’s paid zone. If the balance is insufficient or the ticket is invalid, the passenger is required to purchase a one-way ticket.
- Passengers must choose to use either a one-way ticket, an electronic ticket or purchase a tickets at the station one-way ticket vending machine and pay according to the station announced fare and charging method. When a one-way ticket is used, one must comply to the validity and usage statedon the ticket.
- The one-way ticket issued by the operator should clear states the validity and serial number. If the ticket is dirty or torn to an extend by human factors where the relevant information on the ticket is unclear, then the ticket is considered to be invalid. However, if the ticket itself is defective, then it will be handled in accordance to the operator’s announcement.
- If passenger holds a forged or altered ticket, not only would the passenger be considered to ride without ticket, the passengers shall be transferred for investigation according to law.
Article 9 - Replacement Ticket Regulations
- If the ticket is lost, the ticket inspector should be informed, or upon the arrival at the station, re-purchase the ticket with the ticket vending machine. If the passenger did not replace the ticket and were found, the passenger will be deemed to have ridden without ticket.
- If the passenger fails to pay for the replacement on the spot for any reason, he/she should present the identity document, and the ticket inspector will issue a signed receipt to the passenger for repayment at operator’s indicated institutions within the timeframe given. Those who failed to pay the overdue payment will be actioned against in accordance to the law.
Article 10 - Refund and processing of problem tickets
Except for matters attributable or other announcements made by the operator, passengers who use one-way tickets will not be refunded upon purchase. Passengers with electronic ticket or other approved ticket, once being sensed for entry, there is no refund.
Article 11 - Other regulations
- The operator’s ticket inspector may request passengers to show ticket in the paid zone. For passengers who travel at concession would need to also provide relevant identification or documentation. Those who refuse to cooperate with the inspection, ride without ticket, hold invalid ticket or fraudulently use other’s identity to purchase a ticket shall be handled in accordance with Article 49 of the Mass Rapid Transit Law.
- All the information on all tickets shall be used by the passengers in good faith and shall not be altered.
- Regulations on issuance, usage, lost reporting and refund regulations of electronic ticket shall be handled in accordance with the Electronic Ticket Formalization Contract set by the electronic ticket issuer.
Chapter III Compensation for passengers trapped in train due to service interruptions
Article 12 - In the event of an accident, disaster, strike, etc. or when the authorities approved up on; that could jeopardizes the passenger's safety whereby the transportation service is interrupted, the company will make announcement at the relevant light rail station areas and provide alternative transportation during the interrupted period. Passengers can request a full refund within 7 calendar days, from day of operation interruption.
Article 13 - Passengers affected by the interruption of operation can request a full refund within 7 calendar days, from day of operation interruption, based on one of the following or just exchange for a free ride.
- One-way ticket within the timeframe specified can exchange for a free ride (limited to the same passenger) or get a full refund at Kaohsiung Metro Service desk (limited to Kaisyuan Station or Sizihwan Station).
- Electronic ticket holders or other approved ticket holders within the timeframe specified get a full refund at Kaohsiung Metro Service desk (limited to Kaisyuan Station or Sizihwan Station) by presenting their tickets. If the passenger cannot make it to the designated station, please contact the customer service hotline on (07) 793-9676 to request a full refund. Once verified that the passenger is eligible for refund under the stipulation, refund will be made according to Kaohsiung Metro standards on handling ticket refund and problem ticket.
Article 14 - Due to delay or interruption in operation of the light rail train, after the announcement made by the operator, passengers can download the certificate of delay from operator’s website.
Chapter IV Processing of Passenger’s Lost & Found
Article 15 - When items are lost within the scope of the Kaohsiung Light Rail System, passenger can go to the Service Desk or Lost Property Processing Center to fill out the Search for Lost Property Application Form or contact the Lost Property Processing Center.
Article 16 – Lost objects found by passengers or the public within the Kaohsiung Light Rail System shall be handed over to the service desk of the operating agency or the Lost and Found Processing Center for inspection and disposal. The operating organization shall issue a receipt to the finder as a proof.Lost objects found not within the Kaohsiung Light Rail System area shall be handed over to the police by the finder for disposal in accordance with the law.
Article 17 – If the found materials has gone rotten or produce bad odor or of any other environmental pollutant, the operator will have to take over the right to handle the item(s).
Article 18 - When claiming a lost property, it must be proved that the item belongs to the claimer. If the collector is not the owner, then the collector need to possess personal and owner’s identification document to retrieve the item.
Article 19 - The operator shall deal with the lost property in accordance with relevant laws and regulations, and shall not be liable for damages to the lost property.
Chapter V Restrictions on Carrying Items on Board
Article 20 - Passengers carrying baggage and items shall comply with the following provisions:
- Do not obstruct other passengers and keep the items in own care.
- Each baggage shall not exceed 165 cm in length, and the sum of length, width and height shall not exceed 220 cm. However, wheelchairs, electrical wheelchair, strollers, bicycles, pet strollers, and other items approved by the operators are not limited to this.
- On the rules of carrying pets into the station or car, it is allowed if they are placed in a pet stroller or in the pet box, bag or cage with accordance to the size of the pet. The head, tail and limbs of the animal should not be exposed, and they must fully inclusive without any leakage of feces or liquid. On duty police canines, guide dogs for visual, auditory, and physically challenged or professional trainers with the training dogs are not limited to this.
- The number of inflatable balloons must not exceed 5, and the longest side of any one shall not exceed 50 cm.
Article 21 - The following dangerous goods or flammable materials shall not be carried into the light rail system without the permission of the operator:
- Flammable liquids with flash points below 60℃: mineral oil, gasoline, benzene, toluene, methanol, ethanol (alcohol), acetone, ether, paint (oily plastic paint and solvent cement paint, etc.), carbon disulfide and other flammable liquids.
- Explosive articles such as: explosives, calcium carbide, high pressure gas (hydrogen, oxygen, propane, liquefied petroleum gas, acetylene, etc.), nitrocellulose, dinitrobenzene, dinitrotoluene, trinitrotoluene, dinitro Phenol, trinitrophenol (i.e. picric acid), nitroglycerin, nitroglycerin, nitric acid anhydride, organic peroxygen compound, dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) and other explosive substances.
- Item that can easily spontaneous combusted and ignited such as: matches, gunpowder, metal sodium, potassium amalgam, magnesium powder, aluminum powder, astragalus, phosphorus sulfide, calcium phosphide, toy fireworks, firecrackers, isopropyl alcohol, other flammable solid. However, personal items such as matches and lighters are not limited to this.
- Items that can easily invade the human body and harmful to others such as: sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, lead-acid batteries, chlorate (potassium, sodium, cesium), perchlorate (ammonium, potassium, sodium), phosphorus chloride , sodium peroxide, barium peroxide, ammonium nitrate, bleaching powder, pesticides, sodium chlorohydride, radioactive substances, cyanide, other items that can easily harm human body or goods.
Article 22 - When a passenger carries a suspected dangerous goods or flammable substance, the operator may request the passenger to clarify and cooperate with the inspection. Refusal of the inspector is considered to as being a carrier of dangerous or flammable materials.
Chapter VI Refusal to Transport
Article 23 - In one of the following circumstances, the operator may refuse or cease to transport a passenger, and the operator personnel may, together with the police, to force the passenger to leave the station, light rail train or Kaohsiung Light Rail system area depending on the circumstances. Passenger can request for refund for the route that has not been taken:
- Violation of government decrees, public order, good customs or any part indicated in this Notice.
- Refusal of transportation in accordance with the law.
- Harassment of others or behaviors that have a significant impact on others or themselves.
- Naked, wearing or carrying unsanitary stinky or odorous clothing or carrying items that affect others or general public sanitation.
- Violation on the restrictions set on passengers on personal items.
- Roller blading, skating, skateboarding, riding scooters or other similar equipment in the station or in the light rail train.
- Pushing or influencing the safety of oneself or others in the station or light rail train.
- Carrying or taking vehicles, electronic wheel chair, electric vehicles and other similar powered vehicles in the station or light rail train. However, those who have permission with proof of disability or other means approved by the operator may use a seated wheelchair or an electronic wheelchair within the station at a speed of no more than 5 kilometers per hour.
- Riding bicycles in the station or in the light rail train, but in compliance with the announcement made by the operator, passengers can bring bicycles to the station to carry on to the light rail.
- Non-mass rapid transit system personnel carrying and using trolleys or other similar applications in the station or light rail train.
- Siting and lying on the light rail train, station floor, equipment or facilities.
- Any other action that have created obstacles or posed dangers to the operation of the mass transit system.
- Passenger carrying a bicycle that does not comply with the stipulation to enter/exit the station, folding or park in a designated area, after being instructed still persists on the misconduct.
- Other items that are obstructing the safety of the system and passengers or those carrying the item.
Chapter VII Penalty
Article 24 - Violation of Article 49 of the Mass Rapid Transit Law, without a ticket, with an invalid ticket or fraudulently use a ticket that does not conform to the identity, would not only result in paying the initial pare, a penalty of 50 times the original price would also be charged.
With regards to the fare and the penalty indicated in the preceding paragraph, if the passenger cannot prove the departure station, the maximum fare of the one-way ticket announced by the operator shall be used as the base of calculation.
Article 25 - Anyone who violates Articles 50 and 50-1 of the Mass Rapid Transit Law shall be notified by the operator according to law; those who conduct criminal actions shall be send to the Law Office according to the law.
Chapter VIII Others
Article 26 - If the passenger is sick or feeling unwell en route should inform the operator personnel immediately to request for medical treatment.
Article 27 - Electronic ticket purchase, consumption, value-added, refund of card or fare, registration, lost report, renewal, card initiation, transaction record inquiry, usage disputes and problem cards, please contact the electronic ticket issuer’s customer service. If there are any other enquiries or feedback, please contact the operator's customer service hotline (07) 793-9676 or the website www.krtco.com.tw under Contact Us.
Article 28 - Article 50 of the Mass Rapid Transit Law: In any of the following circumstances, the committer or driver is fined from NT$1,500 to NT$7,500:
- When the vehicle is in motion, climb, jump or cling.
- hinder the door to close or open without authorization.
- Vehicles or personnel of the non-mass rapid transit system; in violation of the provisions of Article 44 paragraph 2, entering the track, bridges, tunnels, culverts and places in the station area that are not accessible to the public.
- Not following ticket checking procedures, enter/exit the station or getting on/off the train from unprescribed premises or manner.
- Reject the station, the personnel to conduct ticket checks or their duties.
- Stay in the car that does not provide passenger service, and persists on the misconduct even after being instructed.
- Collecting, distributing or posting promotional materials, selling items or other business activities in the car or in the station area without permission.
- Carrying animals into the station area or car without permission.
- Eating, chewing gum or betel nut, spitting or spitting betel nut juice, betel nut residue, discarding paper scraps, cigarette butts, chewing gum, fruits or its peel, core, juice, residue or any other general waste in the mass transit system.
- Staying at the station entrance/exit, ticket machines, escalators or other passages, in turn obstructing other passengers from passing or using and persists on the misconduct even after being instructed.
- Passenger lingering in the station that obstructed other passengers from passing or using and persists on the misconduct even after being instructed.
- Lying in the seat in the car and persist on the misconduct even after being instructed.
- Set up booths, scaffolding or banquets within the scope of the Metro system's road rights without permission.
- Playing on the platform, crossing the yellow warning line, walking or running on the escalator or not following the direction of the escalator, or any other behaviors that affect the order of operations and driving safety and persist on the misconduct even after being instructed.
In the case of violating one of the preceding paragraphs, the mass transit system station and the station personnel accompanied by the police, pending on the situation, can force the passenger to leave the station, the car or the mass transit system area. The ticket fare will not be refunded.
Article 29 - One of the 50th Articles of the Mass Rapid Transit Law: violating any one of the following circumstances shall be fined between NT$10,000 and NT$50,000:
- Unauthorized carrying of the declared dangerous or flammable materials into the Metro system route, site, station or car.
- Manipulate the station, car equipment or obstructing the normal operation, power or safety system equipment.
- Violate the provisions of Article 44, paragraph 3, without the taking the bridge or underground passage to cross the tracks of the Mass Rapid Transit system.
In the case of violations of one of the preceding paragraphs, the second paragraph of the preceding article shall apply.
Article 30 - Distribute, post, insert or post election posters without permission in the car or in the station area, or soliciting for votes, gather the crowd and persists on the misconduct even after being instructed, the Kaohsiung Light Rail Authority (institution / agency) personnel, pending on the circumstances, is allowed to be accompanied with the police to remove the items or the passenger out of the station, car or mass transit system area. The ticket fare would not be refundable.
Article 31 - This Notice shall be implemented after being approved by the Administration and the authority and the same shall apply to the amendment.